Monday, April 16, 2007

"I will be with you."

I was gone today. I'm home for a few days, and we spent the day in a city just north of us - taking my dad to the doctor. I got a haircut, and then we went to lunch and came home.

Upon arriving at home, I started flipping through the channels, and found the news. "30+ dead in Virginia Tech Shooting."

What? How horrific, how horrible, terrible, shocking, sad, and horrendous! I think I'm still in shock.

I began reading on one of my forums I take part in - seeing the posts as the news came in throughout the day. I just can not believe it. I had flashbacks of the Columbine shooting (I was working in our local school system at the time.)

I sit now, realizing people will wonder... Where is God in this?

I had to struggle with that answer myself, but I was reminded of the verse from Isaiah. Isaiah 43:2 - "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you."

I do not see God in the shooting itself. I believe God to be hurting. When I read that verse - I believe God to be with us during this tragedy. Bringing together people from around the school, the community, and across the nation.

That's where God is now. God is sitting with us - mourning the loss and healing the wounded. God is with the doctors, the families, and God will be with us in the coming days.



I pray tonight for the families and friends of those who died. I pray tonight for the community of Virginia Tech - it's students, faculty and staff - and the surrounding community. I pray for the doctors, nurses, and other emergency staff that dealt with and will be dealing with this tragedy today. I pray for all of us affected by this tragedy. I pray for all who deal with tragedy everyday. May God be with us in our times of trouble.

1 comment:

Ivaylo said...

hey man, why did you stop, it's such an amazing idea to blog about!